- McConnell Center celebrates Constitution day
- Gorgui Dieng carries Senegal in FIBA World Cup
- Darrell Griffith teams up with Healthy Hoops for asthma awareness
- Student assaulted near campus
- Brief: President delivers state of the university address
- University honors 78 faculty members at faculty excellence dinner
- Talent Un-Earthed at SAB’s Open Mic Night
- Rap Runs the Vernon Club
- Brief: SGA E-Board begins budget process
- U of L increases security on campus
Co-captain Peyton Siva voted Preseason Player of the Year in the Big East
By John Brady–
Louisville has accumulated many accolades after last year’s run to the Final Four game in New Orleans. With the team returning a great number of players and bringing in a great recruiting class, it’s hard to distinguish who will be the best player.
If you ask head coach Rick Pitino, he will tell you without hesitation that it’s senior point guard Peyton Siva.
“He’s playing like a pro right now,” remarked Pitino of Peyton Siva.
Siva, who hails from Seattle, really turned his game up at the end of last year. Leading the Cards to a Big East tournament championship and being named MVP, he has full momentum heading into the season.
The point guard has drawn comparisons from professional scouts to NBA player Steve Nash for his ability to make a great play whenever the original play breaks down. With a comparison like that, it’s easy to see why he was voted Preseason Player of the Year in the Big East.
He is also making national headlines; last Tuesday he was featured on the homepage of ESPN’s website and also graced the latest cover of Sports Illustrated magazine.
With a deep roster and length across the entire Louisville roster, Siva should be able to orchestrate a dangerous team this year.
Now the big question is if he can live up to his very high expectations.
Photo: Tricia Stern/The Louisville Cardinal