By Riley Vance—
U of L men’s tennis (8-8, 2-5) travelled to Notre Dame on April 3 (10-8, 4-4) and returned home with a 4-0 loss. The Fighting Irish defeated the Cards 4-1 in a matchup earlier in the season.
Notre Dame quickly snagged the doubles point with wins on courts one and three.
Matthew Che and Richard Ciamarra (ND) defeated junior Alex Wesbrooks and freshman Kyle Tang 6-0.
On court one, junior Fabien Salle and sophomore Matthew Fung fell 6-1 to Tristan McCormick and Axel Nefve (ND).
Junior Sergio Hernandez and senior Tin Chen were down 2-3 against Brandon Acona and William Howells (ND) when the double’s point was clinched.
In singles, Salle was first to finish with a 6-1, 6-0 loss against Ciamarra (ND).
Notre Dame took a 3-0 lead when Connor Fu (ND) defeated Fung 6-1, 6-1.
The match was clinched on court six as junior David Mizrahi fell 6-2, 6-3 to Ancona (ND).
Matches on courts one, three and four were left unfinished.
Chen lost his first set 6-4 and was starting a second set when the match was clinched.
Hernandez won his first set 6-1 and was tied at 5-5 against McCormick.
Junior Josh Howard-Tripp was down a set and going into a second.
The Cards were back on the road to face Clemson on Friday, April 9 at 5 p.m. and Georgia Tech on Sunday, April 11 at 12 p.m.
- Axel Nefve (ND) vs. Tin Chen (LOU) 6-4, unfinished
- Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Fabien Salle (LOU) 6-1, 6-0
- Tristan McCormick (ND) vs. Sergio Hernandez (LOU) 1-6, 5-5, unfinished
- Matthew Che (ND) vs. Josh Howard-Tripp (LOU) 6-4, unfinished
- Connor Fu (ND) def. Matthew Fung (LOU) 6-1, 6-1
- Brandon Ancona (ND) def. David Mizrahi (LOU) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 6
- Tristan McCormick/Axel Nefve (ND) def. Fabien Salle/Matthew Fung (LOU) 6-1
- Brandon Ancona/William Howells (ND) vs. Sergio Hernandez/Tin Chen (LOU) 3-2, unfinished
- Matthew Che/Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Alex Wesbrooks/Kyle Tang (LOU) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
Photo Courtesy of Andrew Lubansky// U of L Athletics