By Riley Vance—
Women’s tennis (7-10, 3-8) faced a tough matchup April 3 against No. 26 Notre Dame (10-11, 4-8) and ultimately fell 4-3 to the Fighting Irish at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
Notre Dame ended up taking the doubles point with wins on courts two and three.
Julia Andreach and Yashna Yelleyi (ND) defeated junior Dina Chaika and senior Chelsea Sawyer 6-2.
The doubles point was clinched when No. 27 graduate student Raven Neely and sophomore Tatiana Simova fell 6-3 to No. 16 Ally Bojczuk and Julia Lilien (ND).
On court one, sophomore Andrea Di Palma and junior Rhea Verma were down 5-3 against No. 17 Page Freeman and Cameron Corse (ND).
To kick off singles, Neely secured a 6-3, 6-3 win over Bojczuk.
Notre Dame took a one-point-lead over the Cards as Corse (ND) defeated senior Nikolina Jovic 6-2, 6-2.
Louisville fought back on court five as Verma topped Andreach (ND) 6-2, 6-3.
Di Palma put the Cards in the lead with a 7-6, 6-2 win over No. 78 Freeman (ND).
The Fighting Irish then took over courts four and six to win the match.
On court four, Sawyer fell 6-0, 6-2 to Lilien (ND), and Chaika fell 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 in a hard-fought match against Yellayi (ND).
Women’s tennis traveled to face Georgia Tech on Friday, April 9 and Clemson on Sunday, April 11.
- Cameron Corse (ND) def. Nikolina Jovic (LOU) 6-2, 6-2
- Andrea DiPalma (LOU) def. #78 Page Freeman (ND) 7-6, 6-2
- Raven Neely (LOU) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-2, 6-3
- Julia Lilien (ND) def. Chelsea Sawyer (LOU) 6-0, 6-2
- Rhea Verma (LOU) def. Julia Andreach (ND) 6-2, 6-3
- Yashna Yellayi (ND) def. Dina Chaika (LOU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,2
- #17 Page Freeman/Cameron Corse (ND) vs. Andrea DiPalma/Rhea Verma (LOU) 5-3, unfinished
- #16 Ally Bojczuk/Julia Lilien (ND) def. #27Raven Neely/Tatiana Simova (LOU) 6-3
- Julia Andreach/Yashna Yellayi (ND) def. Dina Chaika/Chelsea Sawyer (LOU) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,1,5,2,4,6
Photo Courtesy of Jermaine Bibb// U of L Athletics