By Riley Vance—
The Louisville women’s tennis team (7-11, 3-9) faced the No. 11 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (13-9, 6-5) on April 9 at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center and lost with a final score of 5-2.
The Cards fell short in doubles with Georgia Tech taking over courts one and three.
Junior Rhea Verma and sophomore Andrea Di Palma fell 6-1 to No. 1 Victoria Flores and Kenya Jones (GT).
Louisville fought back on court two as No. 27 graduate student Raven Neely and sophomore Tatiana Simova upset No. 18 Ava Hrastar and Gia Cohen (GT) 6-2.
Rounding off the doubles portion of the match, Carol Lee and Monika Dedaj (GT) defeated junior Dina Chaika and senior Nina Jovic 6-3.
Georgia Tech carried momentum into singles with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Chaika.
The Yellow Jackets tallied another point with a 6-4, 6-4 win over senior Chelsea Sawyer.
Louisville fought back on court three as Neely defeated No. 99 Cohen (GT) 6-3, 4-6 and 3-6.
The match was decided on court two as No. 13 Flores (GT) prevailed over No. 93 Di Palma.
Bringing the overall score to 5-1, No. 2 Jones (GT) took over court one with a 5-7, 6-2 and 6-1 win over Jovic.
The Cards finished off the match strong as Verma defeated Lee (GT) in a third set tiebreaker (6-4, 3-6, and 1-0).
Women’s tennis returned to action Sunday, April 11 to face Clemson at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. Fans were allowed to attend with face coverings.
- Kenya Jones (GT) def. Nikolina Jovic (LOU) 5-7, 6-2, 6-1
- #13 Victoria Flores (GT) def. #93 Andrea Di Palma (LOU) 6-3, 6-4
- Raven Neely (LOU) def. #99 Gia Cohen (GT) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
- Ava Hrastar (GT) def. Chelsea Sawyer (LOU) 6-4, 6-4
- Rhea Verma (LOU) def. Carol Lee (GT) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0
- Mahak Jain (GT) def. Dina Chaika (LOU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, 5
- #1 Victoria Flores/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Rhea Verma/Andrea Di Palma (LOU) 6-1
- #27 Raven Neely/Tatiana Simova (LOU) def. #18 Ava Hrastar/Gia Cohen (GT) 6-2
- Carol Lee/Monika Dedaj (GT) def. Dina Chaika/Nikolina Jovic (LOU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
Photo Courtesy of Jeff Reinking// U of L Athletics