By Hunter Saylor–
It is Christmas season, one of the best times of the year. Snow, jackets, hot chocolate and yuletide carols are what make this a special season. But along with the beauty of this special holiday comes the most annoying aspect of Christmas: the songs. We hear the same songs every season, and while most of them bring warmth and joy, there are the select few that make you want to rip your hair out. Here is the Cardinal’s top 5 list of the most annoying Christmas songs.
5. “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” – I hate this song. I despise this song. I hated it whenever my grandparents would sit me on their lap and sing this song to me. At age 7, this song was the stuff. At age 19, I could not loathe this song any more. From the irrevocably annoying melody to the extremely unfunny lyrics, this song is the perfect way to make me leave the room.
4. “12 Days of Christmas” – Before you jump my case, let me tell you why this song makes the list. “12 Days of Christmas” has never before bothered me, until 3 weeks ago. I walked into a party, Thanksgiving was near and I was so excited to eat some turkey and spend time with my family. As usual, Christmas came early, so everyone was already singing the typical songs. I hear these two sorority girls singing this song at the top of their lungs. Does anyone realize how long this song seems to go whenever it is sung at the peak of someone’s outside voice? It’s terrible. I had to sit through it; there was no way around it. Suddenly, I found myself hating this song. If I hear this song, it will always be associated with the bad memory of five minutes of this song being screamed.
3. “Santa Claus goes Straight to the Ghetto” – You read that correctly. What’s even more unbelievable than the title is the artist behind this awful song. Snoop Dogg featuring the late Nate Dogg. Do I really need to explain what is wrong with this song? I love Christmas music, but whenever we combine a wonderful season with the hood, that’s a recipe for disaster. I like rap and I like Christmas music, but never, and I mean never, should the two genres ever cross.
2. “All I Want for Christmas is You” – This little gem from Mariah Carey almost won top spot for the most annoying Christmas song. I remember driving around with my ex-girlfriend every Christmas and there was only one song she wanted to listen to as soon as the snow fell. This terrible song is packed with typical R&B cheese. I don’t like Mariah Carey, and I don’t like the fact that this song is considered a classic Christmas song. I could record a better song and I’m tone deaf.
1. “Under the Mistletoe” – This isn’t a song; this is an album, recorded by Justin Bieber. “Under the Mistletoe” is one of the worst albums I have ever heard. Bieber is one of the worst artists I have ever heard. The fact that he released a Christmas album, in early November, was enough for me. I listened to the first song and thirty seconds in I was deleting the files from my computer. Why this kid still makes music is beyond me. This album is terrible, he is terrible and this easily tops the list of Most Annoying Christmas songs.
Just to prove I’m not a complete Scrooge or a Grinch, “Christmas in Hollis” by Run DMC is the greatest Christmas song of all time. Even Kanye West would agree with that.
Photo courtesy of Island Records