- U of L reveals major parking changes
- IRS turns eye on Ramsey and administration
- SACS confirms accreditation worries
- Don’t buy the hype on Louisville football this year
- Board increases tuition, other fees
- U of L Foundation can remove Ramsey
- Meet U of L’s interim vice president and provost
- How James Ramsey fell from grace
- Driver charged with murder of former cheerleader
- Billingsley named interim vice president & provost
U of L receives $10 million gift from single donor
By Simon Isham–
University of Louisville President James Ramsey today announced a $10 million dollar gift to the university. It is one of the largest gifts from a single donor in school history.
The gift, which will be paid over three to five years, came from alumnus J.D. Nichols, chairperson of NTS Realty Holdings. Ramsey also took the opportunity to announce that the Nucleus Downtown Innovation Park would be honorarily known as the J.D. Nichols Campus for Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
“Instead of talking about myself, I’m going to talk about James Ramsey. If it wasn’t for Jim (Ramsey), I wouldn’t be standing here today, and if it wasn’t for the education I received at the University of Louisville, I wouldn’t be standing here either,” said Nichols, when asked about his gift. “And if it weren’t for my partner Brian Lavin, I wouldn’t have been able to write the check.”
Nichols said that the gift was not in support of any particular cause, but could rather be used however Ramsey felt it should.
Nichols was previously a trustee on U of L’s board, and was instrumental in working with the Louisville Regional Airport Authority, to make Louisville an international hub for UPS. Several students now work for UPS part-time to finance their U of L educations.
Ramsey and U of L Board of Trustees Chairperson Robert Hughes spoke briefly about Nichols’ accomplishments before recessing the press conference for refreshments.
The announcement was made this afternoon at The Nucleus, the university’s entrepreneurial management and consulting arm.
Photo by Simon Isham / The Louisville Cardinal