By Riley Vance—
The Louisville men’s tennis team (9-8, 3-5 ACC) traveled to Clemson on April 9 and secured a 4-2 win over the Tigers (7-12, 1-9 ACC).
In doubles, Clemson and Louisville both took a court; leaving the doubles point in the hands of court two.
On court three, Clemson’s Jorge Plans Gonzalez and Carlos Kelaidis defeated freshman Kyle Tang and junior Alex Wesbrooks 6-4.
Louisville fought back as No. 60 sophomore Matthew Fung and junior Fabien Salle took down Ryuhei Azuma and Spencer Whitaker (CLEMSON) 6-3.
To round off doubles, senior Tin Chen and junior Sergio Hernandez fought hard to upset No. 22 Yizhou Liu and Teodor Giusca (CLEMSON) 7-6 (7-4).
In singles, Salle secured an impressive 6-3, 6-4 win over No. 103 Kelaidis (CLEMSON).
Clemson put two points on the scoreboard with a win on court four over junior Josh Howard-Tripp, and a win on court three over Hernandez.
Junior David Mizrahi pulled off a 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4 win over Gonzalez (CLEMSON) to bring the overall score to 3-2.
Fung took down Whitaker (CLEMSON) in a third set to clinch the match for the Cards (2-6, 7-5, 6-4).
Following this match, men’s tennis traveled to Atlanta to face No. 32 Georgia Tech on Sunday, April 11.
- Yizhou Liu (CLEMSON) def. Tin Chen (LOU) 6-4, 5-5, unfinished
- Fabien Salle (LOU) def. #103 Carlos Kelaidis (CLEMSON) 6-3, 6-4
- Ryuhei Azuma (CLEMSON) def. Sergio Hernandez (LOU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
- Teodor Giusca (CLEMSON) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (LOU) 7-5, 6-1
- Matthew Fung (LOU) def. Spencer Whitaker (CLEMSON) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
- David Mizrahi (LOU) def. Jorge Plans Gonzalez (CLEMSON) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 6, 5
- #60 Matthew Fung/Fabien Salle (LOU) def. Ryuhei Azuma/Spencer Whitaker (CLEMSON) 6-3
- Tin Chen/Sergio Hernandez (LOU) def. #22 Yizhou Liu/Teodor Giusca (CLEMSON) 7-6 (7-4)
- Jorge Plans Gonzalez/Carlos Kelaidis (CLEMSON) def. Kyle Tang/Alex Wesbrooks (LOU) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Photo Courtesy of Karthik Kalvakuri// U of L Athletics