By Riley Vance—
The Louisville men’s tennis (9-9, 3-5 ACC) traveled to Atlanta to face No. 32 Georgia Tech (11-8, 5-6 ACC) on April 11. They returned home with a 5-2 loss against the Yellow Jackets.
Georgia Tech took the doubles point with wins on courts one and two.
Louisville started off strong with junior Alex Wesbrooks and freshman Kyle Tang defeating Zummy Bauer and Brandon McKinney (GT) 6-4.
The Yellow Jackets evened the score with a close 7-5 win over junior Fabien Salle and sophomore Matthew Fung.
The point was decided on court two as senior Tin Chen and junior Sergio Hernandez fell 7-6 (8-6) to Brandon Freestone and Pablo Schelcher (GT).
Georgia Tech continued their winning streak with a 6-3, 6-3 win on court six over junior David Mizrahi.
Salle put the Cards on the scoreboard with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Andres Martin (GT).
Advancing the score to 3-1, Georgia Tech’s Marcus McDaniel defeated Chen in a third set (6-1, 1-6, 6-4).
Hernandez tallied another point for the Cards as he took down Schelcher (GT) 7-5, 7-5.
Georgia Tech then secured wins on courts four and five to finish the match.
McKinney (GT) defeated Fung 2-6, 6-0, 7-6 (7-4) to clinch the match, and Keshav Chopra (GT) defeated junior Josh Howard-Tripp 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
Men’s tennis returns home to face Virginia Tech today at 1:30 p.m. and Virginia on Sunday, April 18 at 1 p.m. at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
- Marcus McDaniel (GT) def. Tin Chen (LOU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-4
- Fabien Salle (LOU) def. Andres Martin (GT) 6-4, 7-5
- Sergio Hernandez (LOU) def. Pablo Schelcher (GT) 7-5, 7-5
- Keshav Chopra (GT) def. Josh Howard-Tripp (LOU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
- Brandon McKinney (GT) def. Matthew Fung (LOU) 2-6, 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
- Chen Dong (GT) def. David Mizrahi (LOU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 3, 5, 4
- Marcus McDaniel/Andres Martin (GT) def. Fabien Salle/Matthew Fung (LOU) 7-5
2.Brandon Freestone/Pablo Schelcher (GT) def. Tin Chen/Sergio Hernandez (LOU) 7-6 (8-6)
- Alex Wesbrooks/Kyle Tang (LOU) def. Zummy Bauer/Brandon McKinney (GT) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
Photo Courtesy of Andrew Lubansky// U of L Athletics