- Microsoft issue impacts student CardMail accounts
- While we were gone: the summer of sports
- Brief: AT&T outage affecting campus communication
- Are summer classes worth the hassle?
- Glass Animals sell out 600+ show at Headliner’s
- Letter to the Editor: Response to J.D. Nichols letter on Ramsey’s compensation
- Students, fans react to Ramsey pay increase
- Brief: Auditor to examine U of L Foundation
- Title IX notices now required in U of L syllabi
- Brief: Mardis switches titles, edits responsibilities
Cheerleader found dead at Cardinal Towne
Twenty-two-year-old U of L cheerleader Danielle Cogswell — known to family and friends as Dani — was found dead Monday in her Cardinal Towne apartment.
An investigation into the death has been launched by the Louisville Metro Police Department, with the cooperation of the university and Cardinal Towne management. The cause of Cogswell’s death has not yet been determined, but foul play is not suspected. Police are still awaiting autopsy and toxicology results.
Counselors from the university have made themselves available to students and staff who were affected by the death.
The hashtag #RIPDani has begun to trend nationally with messages of condolences and grief coming from the global CardNation community.
Cogswell, originally from Washington state, was a transfer student from Arizona State University. She had been in Louisville for a year.
She was an elite cheerleader on the co-ed team, where she was a flier, a position that emphasizes aerial acrobatics.
“The University of Louisville Spirit program is devastated to lose one of our beautiful and talented team members. Dani had a contagious smile and a spirit that would ignite the room. She will be greatly missed,” said Todd Sharp, her Spirit Team Coach at a press conference about Cogswell’s death.
Update 7/30: LMPD said that they plan to treat Cogswell’s death as a drug overdose. Toxicology reports are not expected to be available for another 60 to 90 days.
This story will be updated with more details as they become available.