- Fall 2016 semester athletic awards
- Women’s basketball pulls out the overtime victory over rival Kentucky
- U of L’s chief financial officer resigns
- How to survive campus when snow storms hit
- Lamar Jackson wins ACC Player of the Year
- SGA approves budget, new election rules
- Men’s soccer defeats Notre Dame 3-1, advances to NCAA quarterfinals
- How private is our privacy?
- Local activities to celebrate the holiday season
- Dangerous Crossing: Pedestrians ignore walk signs at U of L
In the news: What you missed while you were in class
A car ran into the “University of Louisville” sign at the corner of Arthur St. and Brandeis Ave. the night of Thanksgiving. While the accident did not result in life-threatening injuries, the damage to the sign was “extensive” according to the U of L police report filed on the accident. In the days since the accident, students and alumni have mentioned it on multiple social media sites, even making a meme featuring Miley Cyrus.
NELSON MANDELA DIED
Nelson Mandela died this past Thursday at the age of 95. Known for being South Africa’s first black president, Mandela survived 27 years in prison and helped break the South African apartheid system. Mandela had been suffering from several health issues in the past months, including lung infections and gallstones. Mandela’s last public appearance was in at the 2010 World Cup.
EXPLOSION IN BAGHDAD KILLS 39
At least 39 people were killed in and around Baghdad when almost 12 explosions occurred this past Sunday. The areas targeted were crowded shopping districts and were predominantly Shiite Muslims. At the time of press, no one had claimed responsibility for the attacks. Violence in Iraq has been has been its highest since 2006 and 2007.
IRAN NUCLEAR DEAL HELPING
According to Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani, the nuclear deal that Iran made last month is already helping the country’s economy. Iran had been suffering under the sanctions forced on them due to their nuclear energy programs. Some of those sanctions had been lifted last month when Iran struck a deal saying that it would halt some of its nuclear programs.
Photo by Sasha Perez