By Riley Vance —
After a three-match losing streak, the Cardinals (6-7, 1-5) swept Butler (3-4) 7-0 for a much-needed win.
Louisville took the doubles point with wins on courts two and three.
Senior Tin Chen and junior Sergio Hernandez defeated Thomas Brennan and Alvaro Huet Vadillo (Butler) 6-1.
Shortly after, juniors Alex Wesbrooks and Josh Howard-Tripp clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win over Michael Karr and Ryan Roegne (Butler).
No. 70 junior Fabien Salle and sophomore Matthew Fung were up 5-4, but their match was left unfinished.
The Cards took the lead heading into singles and secured wins on every court.
Fung was the first to finish with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Butler’s Borja Miralles.
Giving the Cards a 3-0 lead, Chen took down Dickson (Butler) 6-1, 6-3.
Howard-Tripp prevailed over Vadillo (Butler) to clinch the match for Louisville (6-2, 6-1).
No. 63 Hernandez continued the winning streak with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Michael (Butler).
Junior David Mizrahi tallied another point for the Cards as he took down Butler’s Filip Tensing 6-3, 6-3.
Salle took down Brennan (Butler) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2) in a tie breaker for a strong finish to the match.
Louisville travels to face Florida State on Sunday, March 28 at 1 p.m.
- Tin Chen (LOU) def. Michael Dickson (BUTLER) 6-1, 6-3
- Fabien Salle (LOU) def. Thomas Brennan (BUTLER) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-2)
- #63 Sergio Hernandez (LOU) def. Drew Michael (BUTLER) 6-4, 6-2
- Josh Howard-Tripp (LOU) def. Alvaro Huet Vadillo (BUTLER) 6-2, 6-1
- Matthew Fung (LOU) def. Borja Miralles (BUTLER) 6-2, 6-2
- David Mizrahi (LOU) def. Filip Tensing (BUTLER) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 3, 6, 2
- #70 Fabien Salle/Matthew Fung (LOU) vs. Michael Dickson/Drew Michael (BUTLER) 5-4, unfinished
- Tin Chen/Sergio Hernandez (LOU) def. Thomas Brennan/Alvaro Huet Vadillo (BUTLER) 6-1
- Josh Howard-Tripp/Alex Wesbrooks (LOU) def. Michael Karr/Ryan Roegner (BUTLER) 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
Photo by Riley Vance // The Louisville Cardinal