- Acting law dean chosen to replace Duncan
- Women’s golf headed to NCAA Regionals for fourth straight year
- Men’s tennis takes down Notre Dame for ACC tournament win
- Crawford named next law school dean
- John Schnatter resigns from athletics board
- Louisville eats: The best restaurants in the city
- Women’s tennis advances in ACC Championships
- U of L considers separating from its medical center
- Men’s tennis heads to the ACC Championships
- U of L Foundation approves its first line-item budget
All posts tagged "music"
- Mastodon’s “Emperor of Sand” is a collection of uninspired retreads
By Aaron Hartley– Mastodon have been at the forefront of prog metal for most of the century so far. Beginning with the brutal “Remission” in 2002 and following it up with a series of critically acclaimed concept...
- Posted April 3, 2017
- Ryan Adams’ “Prisoner” a mixed bag of sadness
By Aaron Hartley– Ryan Adams is the definition of a prolific musician. Since leaving the alternative country band Whiskeytown in 2000, he has released sixteen studio albums, beginning with the acclaimed classic “Heartbreaker” that year. Since, his...
- Posted March 23, 2017
- Sampha’s “Process” is a gorgeous, impressive debut
By Aaron Hartley– Debuts can be tricky. More often than not, artists can struggle to find a single or don’t quite have their unique sound nailed down yet. Fortunately, this is definitely not the case with “Process,”...
- Posted February 21, 2017
- Migos’ ‘Culture’ is a conduit for bangers
By Aaron Hartley– Trap may be the most divisive genre in mainstream music in the last decade. The subset of hip-hop born from the southern U.S. frequently features silly content like nonsensical lyrics, unconventional rapping styles and...
- Posted February 11, 2017
- The Flaming Lips indulge in nonsense on ‘Oczy Mlody’
By Aaron Hartley– Psychedelic indie outfit The Flaming Lips have been around a long time – long enough to not really care whether their music meets a standard or not. They have always had a penchant for...
- Posted January 31, 2017
- Small-town cowboy, Cody Johnson, meets big music scene
By Alex McGrath– Honesty, humility and courage lie within a cowboy’s system of beliefs. For Texas-born Cody Johnson, this way of life intertwines with the world of music. From bull riding in the rodeo to patrolling as...
- Posted January 17, 2017
- Childish Gambino’s latest album is funky, weird and daring
By Aaron Hartley– I’ve never really been a fan of Childish Gambino, Donald Glover’s musical persona. His first album, “Camp,” was pretty bad and the follow-up, “Because the Internet,” was simply okay. His rapping was often corny...
- Posted December 7, 2016
- Pentatonix harmonizes in latest holiday album
By Madison Thompson– Acapella group Pentatonix released their Christmas album titled “A Pentatonix Christmas” on Oct. 21. Blending popular holiday tunes and modern songs, the album’s tunes span genres and styles. There are 30’s and 40’s boogie,...
- Posted November 28, 2016
- The Weeknd’s “Starboy” faintly shines
By Aaron Hartley– The Weeknd has been around for a few years now. After a series of well-received mixtapes, he dropped his first album “Kiss Land” back in 2013. But with last year’s “Beauty Behind the Madness,”...
- Posted November 26, 2016
- Lady Gaga takes chances in new album
By Aaron Hartley– Lady Gaga doesn’t need an introduction at this point. She is one of the most successful pop stars of all time, with a slew of hits under her belt. After her last pop record...
- Posted October 28, 2016