- ‘Minimalism’ documentary questions modern values
- Governor names new U of L trustees
- Quentin Snider expected to miss 2-3 weeks with hip injury
- Men’s basketball overcomes poor shooting to upend No. 7 Duke
- Killer Mike and El-P outdo themselves on ‘Run the Jewels 3’
- Belknap Farmers Market shuts down for 2017
- Bevin calls foul on accreditation worries, SACS record implies otherwise
- Helpful tips on starting the semester off right
- Nation prepares for Inauguration Day
- New dining options delayed
All posts tagged "LGBT"
- U of L LGBT community shows support for Orlando
By Kyeland Jackson — After the deadly Orlando shooting which left 49 dead and dozens injured, U of L’s LGBT community has rallied to show its support. Once news of the shooting at the gay nightclub spread, the city and...
- Posted June 17, 2016
- Anti-LGBT bills move southern states backwards
By Bethany Stacy– Last summer, the United States made a huge stride toward equality for the LGBT community when the Supreme Court declared the ban on same-sex marriage unconstitutional. LGBT people and their allies all over the...
- Posted April 13, 2016
- Hateful graffiti undermines U of L’s diversity image
By Nick Amon– We should have a discussion. Despite a campus-wide email, it seems like no one knows about—or cares about—another instance of discrimination on campus. A close-minded Banksy wannabe spray-painted a derogatory message geared towards the...
- Posted March 27, 2016
- Derogatory messages written near LGBT Center
By Phillip Lentsch– In the wake of previous racial tensions at Threlkeld Hall, another disparaging incident has hit U of L. The afternoon of March 23, Interim Provost Neville Pinto and Vice Provost Mordean Taylor-Archer sent a campus-wide...
- Posted March 23, 2016
- LGBT Center invites students to Alternative Thanksgiving
On Tuesday Nov. 24 U of L’s LGBT Center gathered in the Red Barn for an Alternative Thanksgiving. The LGBT Alumni Network hosted the event, and Humana’s LGBT Resource Group donated home cooked items like turkey and...
- Posted December 1, 2015
- PINK performers are a drag
Brian Buford, the director of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) center at U of L, described Friday evening as his “long time dream.” He referred to the LGBT program as a second home for himself. As it...
- Posted March 30, 2015
- Cupid doesn’t discriminate, neither should you
By Patty Cowley– When I sat down to write about Valentine’s Day and hetero-normativity for this op-ed, I found myself surprisingly stuck. Most of my adult life has been dedicated in some part to the LGBT community....
- Posted February 13, 2015
- Kentucky companies receive high LGBT equality ratings
The Human Rights Campaign, the country’s largest LGBT civil rights organization, recently released its Corporate Equality Index, which assesses the climate of and benefits afforded to LGBT employees. Four Kentucky companies were ranked in the 2015 index....
- Posted December 4, 2014
- Pride takes strides toward equality
“Being gay is the only identity where people will hate you, your family might hate you, and God could hate you.” Words Brian Buford, the director of the LGBT Center heard when he first came out as a...
- Posted September 28, 2014
- What a drag (show)!
By Simon Isham– The most sickening spectacle on campus returns for its 17th year. And in this case — and only in this case — “sickening” is a good thing! Turn with me in your drag dictionaries to “S.”...
- Posted March 23, 2014