- ‘Minimalism’ documentary questions modern values
- Governor names new U of L trustees
- Quentin Snider expected to miss 2-3 weeks with hip injury
- Men’s basketball overcomes poor shooting to upend No. 7 Duke
- Killer Mike and El-P outdo themselves on ‘Run the Jewels 3’
- Belknap Farmers Market shuts down for 2017
- Bevin calls foul on accreditation worries, SACS record implies otherwise
- Helpful tips on starting the semester off right
- Nation prepares for Inauguration Day
- New dining options delayed
All posts tagged "budget cuts"
- Bevin won’t appeal court’s budget cut ruling
By Phillip Lentsch– Last week, Governor Matt Bevin decided not to contest the Kentucky Supreme Court’s ruling that reversed the unilateral funding cuts he ordered for all state universities. U of L is currently awaiting a $2.8...
- Posted October 16, 2016
- Bevin continues to lag on Supreme Court’s decision
By Shelby Brown– Last month, the Kentucky Supreme Court declared Governor Matt Bevin’s two percent university budget slash unconstitutional in a 5-2 ruling. Attorney General Andy Beshear has ordered Bevin to “immediately” return the $18 million to...
- Posted October 8, 2016
- Kentucky Supreme Court reverses Bevin’s university cuts
By Phillip Lentsch– Governor Matt Bevin has been facing some issues in the Kentucky Supreme Court, after a ruling on Sept. 22 stated that he exceeded his authority last spring in ordering budget cuts to state universities....
- Posted September 22, 2016
- Bevin’s higher ed cuts ruled legal
By Kyeland Jackson — Governor Matt Bevin’s higher education cuts are legal, according to a ruling Wednesday afternoon by Franklin Circuit Court Judge Thomas Wingate. Originally reported by the Courier-Journal, Wingate said two state laws allow the $18...
- Posted May 18, 2016
- Faculty joins fight against governor’s cuts
By Kyeland Jackson & Olivia Krauth — Pan-African Studies Chair Ricky Jones said he will be joining the legal suit against Governor Matt Bevin. The suit is part of Attorney General Andy Beshear’s promise to pursue legal action against...
- Posted April 13, 2016
- Attorney general sues governor over university cuts
By Kyeland Jackson — Attorney general Andy Beshear said he will sue Governor Matt Bevin today. The action comes two weeks after talks on the budget proposal in the General Assembly fell through, prompting Bevin to issue an immediate 4.5 percent cut...
- Posted April 11, 2016
- U of L hit with a $6.5 million cut
By Kyeland Jackson — On the heels of a departmental survey preparing for budget cuts, Governor Matt Bevin Thursday ordered an immediate 4.5 percent cut to higher education. By Friday afternoon Attorney General Andy Beshear declared that...
- Posted April 2, 2016
- Financial woes voiced at tuition meeting
By Kyeland Jackson — Presenting to students from health sciences and other departments, speakers discussed the problem of rising tuition. One of the primary concerns revolved around budget cuts forwarded through Governor Matt Bevin’s order. Dean of Students...
- Posted April 1, 2016
- Graduation numbers mislead students
By Christopher Acree– While residency issues compelled her to pick U of L over other schools in the state, senior Elizabeth Hurd moved here from Oklahoma, and she did her research. “I looked at (U of...
- Posted March 3, 2016
- Proposed budget cuts hit U of L hard
By Nick Amon– Governor Matt Bevin proposed a state budget that would significantly cut funding for higher-education across the commonwealth. Executive action will cut 4.5 percent of the current budget immediately. A grotesque nine percent will be cut...
- Posted January 28, 2016