Petition calls for Ali Statue to replace Confederate Monument

By on June 4, 2016
Confederate statue UofL

By Sam Draut–

A petition on Change.org proposed a statue of Muhammad Ali, who died yesterday, to replace the controversial Confederate monument on Third Street near the University of Louisville campus. The petition will be delivered to Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer and UofL President James Ramsey.

The petition has over 700 signatures and was written by Molly Shah.

“Since UofL has decided to remove the blight that is the Confederate statue on campus, what better to replace it than a statue in memory of Louisville’s greatest son, Muhammed Ali,” the petition reads.

It was announced in early May that the Confederate monument would be removed and relocated.

File photo / The Louisville Cardinal

About Sam Draut

8 Comments

1. Josephine Bass

June 4, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Sam Draut the Confederate Monument is no blight, the only blight around here is you! There is no comparison of Confederate Soldiers who gave their life in their 2nd War for Independence and Ali, the boxer. If Louisville wants a statue to Ali they can put one up, they don’t have to take ours down that is what heathens, jhidists, 3rd world dictators do, and Not what Americans do.

2. Nah

June 5, 2016 at 2:07 am

Muhammad Ali was a racist. Yes let’s replace some the that represents racism and replace it with a racist. Good job, Louisville.

3. Katina Cooper

June 5, 2016 at 8:26 am

Why not do it again? The north defeated the south in the civil war. Might as well have a Muslim defeat the south this time.

4. Jake

June 5, 2016 at 11:29 am

Knock down the stupid statue muhammad ali was the greatest he deserves a statue there

5. Arch

June 6, 2016 at 12:31 am

If someone or some group wants to have a statue erected to Cassius Clay let it be constructed someplace that has something to do with his past. In front of his boyhood home? the Ali Center? BUT Not near a campus he had nothing to do with, in front of a Museum he probably never attended? The removal of the confederate monument is a stupid idea that should be prevented. During the 1960’s I never heard a single black student at U of L object the the monument. One of those black students, Bob Douglas, a retired professor at U of L.

6. HASHIM AL JABIRI

June 6, 2016 at 4:34 am

I think that Muhammad Ali Cassius Marcellus Clay is been an eroe of the 21 century.
    I believe also that any historical event has to be reminded to the humanity as a treasure.
    I wouldn’t remove a Old monument with a new one.The trace of that monument is like a piece of history that as many different reasons to be there. Just think about Rome, if the Romans were removing the monuments every emperor coming in power today the will only have erected the last emperor statue replaced by the predecessor. Thank God is not so.The USA are a great nation that I would define an Empire but has not a old history yet. The monument of a great man like Muhammed Ali should be placed in every single state of the US because he was a man that marked a piece of the history not only in America but world wide internationally.This man had a mission and he made a myth of his self matching with the sport with the religion and human rights, giving to a lot of people a better hope in life.Lousville is a big city, I am sure that you can find another great location to install the late great champion Muhammad Ali. By the way my name is Hashim Al Jabiri I am the son of an Italian Iraqi artist painter and sculptor Ali Al Jabiri living in Rome Italy. My father will be honored to make the bronze statue of Muhammad Ali. My father met him years ago in Baghdad and Saddam was interested to donate a sculpture to Muhammad Ali made by my father in Italy but unfortunately didn’t happen.Contact me if you wish to know more about my father art. http://www.alialjabiri.com or Facebook

7. Matthew Darnell

June 8, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Before this summer semester, I took a brief trip to Hong Kong and Macau. In Macau, I visited the Ruins of St. Paul’s. Here we have a monument, finished in 1602, erected by Portuguese colonialists in China, who no doubt performed many atrocities.

Why is there no push to tear it down? The builders weren’t even Chinese! They won’t do it because they realize the value of preserving history, warts and all.

The United States destroys its own history as soon as it becomes unpalatable. They say that those who forget history are doomed to repeat, maybe we deserve it.

8. D

June 11, 2016 at 2:26 pm

to even think about replacing that statue with a draft dodger is ludicrous