- Gallery: #SnowBaeReturns
- Brief: U of L classes and offices closed Friday
- Brief: Snow day issued for Mar. 5
- Men’s tennis in midst of 10-match win streak
- The crisis surrounding ISIS
- Baseball goes 2-1 in weekend series with Xavier
- SAC renovations: a debate four years in the making
- Incoming top four talks elections, plan for future
- TEDx comes to U of L
- PHOTO: RaiseRED raises money for pediatric cancer
U of L Women defeat Cincinnati 75-51
The third-ranked University of Louisville Women’s basketball team defeated Cincinnati 75-51 March 1 at Fifth Third Bank Arena.
The Bearcats (12-16) celebrated senior day, but it was the Cardinals seniors who celebrated.
Fifth year senior Tia Gibbs scored 17 points and fellow senior Antonita Slaughter hit four three pointers in the first half, finishing with 14 points.
“We needed a spark,” Gibbs said. “It’s a different game so it’s a different person stepping up and we needed a spark off the bench.”
Shoni Schimmel scored ten points and Asia Taylor added 12 points and eight rebounds.
Louisville (28-2) avoided the proverbial trap game with top-ranked UConn approaching on Monday night. Louisville head coach Jeff Walz credited the focused play based on the long standing annual matchups against Cincinnati.
“There was never a doubt in my mind that this would be a letdown game,” Walz said.
Now the attention turns to UConn, who defeated Louisville in Storrs, Conn. 81-64 on February 9.
“We have a lot to work on, but there were good moments too. We’re excited for Monday,” Gibbs said.