- “At the Vanishing Point” brings Louisvillians even closer together, if that’s possible
- If I had a nickel…
- SGA Update: Senate talks through proposed meal plan increases
- The Evolution of Trez
- East End Crawls as Construction Comes Up
- Tennis’ lone senior to lead underclassmen into ACC
- Get on board: Louisville tennis ready to raise the bar, take on ACC
- From Miss Volleyball to Miss Kentucky: Q & A with Katie George
- Freshman phenom Mariya Moore blazes the court
- #SOTU 2015: What you need to know
U of L Women defeat Cincinnati 75-51
The third-ranked University of Louisville Women’s basketball team defeated Cincinnati 75-51 March 1 at Fifth Third Bank Arena.
The Bearcats (12-16) celebrated senior day, but it was the Cardinals seniors who celebrated.
Fifth year senior Tia Gibbs scored 17 points and fellow senior Antonita Slaughter hit four three pointers in the first half, finishing with 14 points.
“We needed a spark,” Gibbs said. “It’s a different game so it’s a different person stepping up and we needed a spark off the bench.”
Shoni Schimmel scored ten points and Asia Taylor added 12 points and eight rebounds.
Louisville (28-2) avoided the proverbial trap game with top-ranked UConn approaching on Monday night. Louisville head coach Jeff Walz credited the focused play based on the long standing annual matchups against Cincinnati.
“There was never a doubt in my mind that this would be a letdown game,” Walz said.
Now the attention turns to UConn, who defeated Louisville in Storrs, Conn. 81-64 on February 9.
“We have a lot to work on, but there were good moments too. We’re excited for Monday,” Gibbs said.