- Vaccination app touts U of L professor as author
- Update on two victims shot at Cardinal Village
- Louisville baseball earns second overall seed in NCAA tournament
- Brief: Double shooting at Cardinal Village
- U of L Foundation receives negative debt rating
- Foundation paid Ramsey nearly $3 million in 2014
- Judge says Confederate statue can move
- Brief: Attorney moves to continue confederate statue removal
- U of L adds urban sustainability degree
- Bevin’s higher ed cuts ruled legal
No. 11 Louisville beats No. 18 SMU 84-71
By Sam Draut–
Russ Smith scored 22 points in the second half, hitting six three pointers, leading eleventh ranked Louisville to an 84-71 win against eighteenth ranked Southern Methodist.
The Cardinals second road victory over a ranked team this season was sparked by the senior guard, who finished the game with 26 points, six rebounds, and five assists. Smith was 6 of 6 from behind the arc.
SMU blitzed Louisville early, going up 18-5 through the first eight minutes. After falling behind 26-12, the Cardinals finished the final six minutes of the half on a 20-4 run, taking a 32-30 lead into halftime.
Chris Jones kept Louisville afloat in the first half, scoring 13 of his 21 points before the break.
Louisville (25-5) led SMU 43-41 with 13 minutes left in the second half when Smith connected with three three-pointers in 84 seconds.
SMU (23-7) cut the lead to 55-54, but Louisville received another 11 point scoring burst from Smith to put the game away.
Montrezl Harrell scored 19 points and pulled down eight rebounds. Luke Hancock added 15 points.
The sixth consecutive sellout crowd in Dallas saw SMU’s first home loss of the season, the Mustangs had previously defeated three ranked teams at Moody Coliseum.
Louisville wraps up the regular season with a home finale against UConn at the KFC YUM! Center on Saturday. The Cardinals are guaranteed at least a share of the AAC Regular Season title with a victory over UConn.