- Kelsi Worrell punches ticket to 2016 Rio Olympics
- Brief: Constituency representatives to meet with Ramsey
- Student reaction: Ramsey and BOT pushed out
- Bridgeman named U of L foundation chair
- Brief: Tuition increase goes forward regardless of board shake up
- Andy Beshear filing suit against Bevin
- Faculty worry U of L’s accreditation endangered
- Ramsey officially stepping down as president
- Faculty and staff pursue injunction against Bevin
- Ramsey offers to resign, board gets shake up
Project Sunshine hosts bake sale benefitting Kosair kids
By Eiman Zuberi–
The SAC is always bursting with activity, but on Feb. 20, there seemed to be even more excitement than usual. The campus organization, Project Sunshine, was holding their semi-annual bake sale. Their table was lined with sweet treats, ranging from cupcakes and brownies to Rice Krispie treats and cookies, (my personal favorite were the cookies frosted to resemble watermelons). The baked goods were made by the members of the club themselves, as part of their many activities.
Project Sunshine is a national, non-profit program that “brings sunshine to the kids in need at Kosair’s Children Hospital,” according to sophomore Keil Guerrero. Guerrero, along with freshman Gannen Cogswell, were managing the bake sale at the time, offering smiles and delicious sweets to students making their way through the SAC. All proceeds from the bake sale are donated to the children of Kosair. For everyone who bought something, the club members happily added their name on a “ray of sunshine” which was then attached to the paper sun hanging behind the table.
What else does the organization do? Club Vice President Dirk Dorsel explained that members visit the the kids, to take their minds off of their stay in the hospital: “so they can feel like kids again, not just patients.” They also do crafts such as Sunnygrams, and of course, bake sales, selflessly donating their time for the kids. The bake sale was one of many club outreach attempts on campus. According to, the club connects volunteers in over 175 cities in the USA.
Missed this bake sale? Keep your eyes open for the next one! They are usually held once every semester.
Interested in joining Project Sunshine? Email president Julia Hunter at JCHUNT03@louisville.cardmail.edu or check projectsunshine.org for more information.
Thank you Project Sunshine, for bringing sunshine on an otherwise cloudy day.
Photos by Eiman Zuberi