- PHOTO: Demolition begins on The Complex
- Residents say new owners improving former Grove
- Brief: The Grove changes name, owners
- U of L finance committee passes tuition increase
- Ramsey addresses deferred payment coverage
- U of L audit committee continues with Strothman
- Brief: IT experiences power outage
- Cardinal photographer wins national competition
- U of L announces eight Fulbright winners
- Brief: Chris Jones not indicted in rape case
Future snow days unlikely according to Provost
By Olivia Krauth–
More snowy weather is predicted for the upcoming week, but Provost Shirley Willihnganz says that future snow days are unlikely.
“I will tell you now that given the number of times we’ve canceled, we’ll stay open through this unless, obviously, the situation changes and creates weather events that quite simply are too dangerous for us to remain open,” said Willihnganz in an email to U of L faculty.
“If the weather isn’t worse than predicted, I’m going to try to keep us open,” continued Willihnganz. “But safety will always be our primary concern, and we will make decisions based on the best information we have.”
Willihnganz asked faculty to understand if students were unable to make it to class due to the impending weather.
Willihnganz warned that there may be some “uncleared parking lots and snowy walkways,” but made sure to commend Physical Plant workers on their “simply heroic” work thus far.
“They have been tasked with seemingly endless cleanup in horrible working conditions – ice, snow, wind and extremely cold temperatures,” said Willihnganz. “Some of them actually have spent the night on cots in our steam and chill water plant because we weren’t sure they could get back to campus to begin clearing snow and ice at 4 a.m.”
Willihnganz’s email follows a week that included a snow day, a morning delay and an early dismissal. There have been three snow days so far this semester, twice as many snow days as the previous two years combined.
“Here’s hoping for an early spring,” said Willihnganz.
Photo by Sasha Perez/Louisville Cardinal