- Brief: Auditor to examine U of L Foundation
- Title IX notices now required in U of L syllabi
- Brief: Mardis switches titles, edits responsibilities
- Sands shaking up U of L’s organization
- Brief: Housing director leaving for FSU
- PHOTO: New ramp connects campus to Third Street
- The biggest headlines of 2014-2015
- Tuition to increase by three percent
- PHOTO: Demolition begins on The Complex
- Residents say new owners improving former Grove
Cardinal baseball defeats Eastern Illinois
By Annie Moore
After dropping the final game of the Western Michigan series this past weekend, Louisville got back on a
winning track, defeating Eastern Illinois 6-0 on Tuesday. Freshman RHP Jake Sparger got the win. Sparger
threw six and two-thirds innings with four runs, zero hits and three K’s.
Senior right-fielder Cole Sturgeon got the Cards first hit of the day, doubling to right field in the bottom of
the first. Junior second-baseman Grant Kay was walked to put runners on first and second, and senior left-
fielder Jeff Gardner singled to left field to plate Sturgeon and bat in the first run of the day.
The second inning brought more offense, starting with junior center fielder Mike White. White led off with
a single through the right side, and then stole second. Senior catcher Shane Crain was the next man up, and
singled to left field to put runners on the corners. Junior shortstop Sutton Whiting shot a triple down the
first base line and out to right field to score, White and Crain put the Cards up 3-0. Sturgeon was up again,
and grounded out to second. Whiting scored and added another run to the Card’s tally.
Louisville added two more runs. One in the fourth from Kay, who hit a double to bring home Crain, and
another in the seventh, when Kay scored off a sacrifice fly from freshman Nick Solak.
The Cards were set to play Morehead State on Wednesday, but the game was called due to in climate
weather. Louisville will have to wait to carry on its winning ways against Toledo and Indiana this weekend.
Stay tuned to the Louisville Cardinal for coverage of this weekend’s games.