- The housing boom: Are students satisfied?
- Previewing the Clemson Tigers
- Suspect charged in Old Louisville assault
- Louisville shines in College GameDay atmosphere
- U of L’s Foundation board shaken
- Students on edge after Old Louisville crime spree
- Benz insists Ramsey and foundation chair must go
- Foundation and university meeting canceled
- U of L Foundation devalued under Ramsey
- Official under investigation set to retire
Men’s tennis defeats Murray and Morehead State
By Dalton Ray
The University of Louisville men’s tennis team defeated visitors Morehead and Murray State this past weekend. The season-opening doubleheader were both won by a 7-0 mark by the hometown Cards at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center on Friday.
The Cards opened the day against Morehead State by sweeping all three doubles matches. The junior duo of Sebastian Stiefelmeyer and Van Damrongsri defeated Jack Swindells and Ji Hoon Heo 6-2. Junior Chris Simich and freshman Eric Bonfre followed with a 6-1 victory over Nick Mercer and Gabriel Ruiz to seal the match’s first point for U of L. Junior Luis Elizondo and sophomore Jeffrey Brown teamed up to defeat David Clifford and Giovanni Samaha 6-4 to round out doubles.
Singles action saw Elizondo beat Heo 6-0, 6-0 and junior Michael Lippens defeat Mercer 6-1, 6-0. Stiefelmeyer, 6-1, 6-3, Damrongsri, 6-4, 6-2, Simich, 6-0, 6-4, and Brown, 6-1, 6-4, would all add victories in singles as well.
Against Murray in the second half of the doubleheader the Stiefelmeyer, Damrongsri and Bonfre, Simich duos would stay undefeated, as they both would win 6-0. Adam Taylor and Max McLean were the first duo to fall for the Racers followed by David Hess and Mateo Barroetavena. Chris Simich and Amaury Derognat capped the doubles sweep by defeating Aleks Mitric and Nicholas Mitric 6-1.
The Cards would win all six matches in straight sets in singles. Stiefelmeyer, 6-0, 6-1, Damrongsri, 6-1, 6-4, Simich, 6-2, 6-0, Elizondo, 6-0, 6-0, Lippens, 6-0, 6-0, and Brown (6-3, 6-2) once again would all pick up wins.