- East End Crawls as Construction Comes Up
- Tennis’ lone senior to lead underclassmen into ACC
- Get on board: Louisville tennis ready to raise the bar, take on ACC
- From Miss Volleyball to Miss Kentucky: Q & A with Katie George
- Freshman phenom Mariya Moore blazes the court
- #SOTU 2015: What you need to know
- Lawyer’s report discredits former Vice President for Human Resources
- Strong-armed robbery near campus sends one student to hospital
- Dahlia dives into American culture
- Louisville falls to Duke 63-52
Disregard society’s expectations and love yourself
By: Naomi Deeds
Everywhere I turn there is a new diet, new pill or some new clothing item to make you appear thinner. What is wrong with loving ourselves the way we are?
According to an article by Michelle Schlesinger, nearly one-third of college students are dissatisfied with their body, weight or appearance. People are different.
Just take a minute to think about the fact that if we all looked alike, no one would be unique! You were made the way you are; if you were supposed to look differently, you would be different.
Apparently in America there is an obesity epidemic going on. The United States government has declared nearly 7 out of 10 adults as overweight or obese.
According to BMI charts, I am obese. If you saw me walking past you, I guarantee you would not think of me as obese.
This obesity epidemic is ridiculous. Everyone cannot be put into a box, and made to look like someone else. I am short and stocky, and my sister is tall and thin. There is no “ideal” body; that is a myth. The only ideal body there can ever be is the way you are right now.
Body fat is necessary to be alive! I am not saying that the world should stop caring about their bodies. However, we need to take care of ourselves. Be healthy, and be happy with the way you look.
There will always be someone who thinks that you should change something about yourself. Change is not always a bad thing, but we need to be ourselves! We are unique, to the point that out of all the fingerprints in the entire world, there is not one that matches another. If we were created so different from everyone else, why are we trying to look exactly like everyone else?
It’s a new year, so take the time to appreciate yourself! Love who you are, and take care of yourself because there is only one you!
Photo Courtesy of Google Images