- U of L and city to remove Confederate monument
- Bevin allows university representatives a vote on BOT
- New business center aims for efficiency
- A&S to pilot new community service app
- Board of Trustees cancels no-confidence discussion
- Follett selected as new U of L bookstore partner
- Editor’s note: 10 things I learned as EIC
- COO says audit has strengthened financial controls
- Interim Provost Pinto holds open forum on campus
- Faculty joins fight against governor’s cuts
5 songs most likely to be heard at a U of L tailgate
1. “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC
It’s a timeless classic. The moment you hear, “Thunder, ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,” you know some serious stuff is about to go down. Fans of other schools tremble in their boots when the Louisville faithful rally to this song.
2. “Wagon Wheel” by Old Crow Medicine Show
This song is a must for any southern tailgate. And though Louisville might belong to the Big East, Cards fans stick to their roots. In the middle of conversations, people will immediately stop talking to do their own version of a country jig whenever this anthem is comes on.
3. “Fishin’ in the Dark” by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
This tune goes as well with a downhome tailgate as it does with… fishing in the dark. Once again, the Louisville folks can’t seem to do anything but break out into a hoedown whenever this song breaks over the airwaves.
4. “Callin’ Baton Rouge” by Garth Brooks
Garth evokes images of people square dancin’, hootin’, hollerin’ and pretty much anything else those folks down in Louisiana do in their spare time. And a lot of that relates back to football. All this makes it a perfect fit for tailgate.
5. “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey
Probably the best sing-a-long ballad of all time. The beginning piano piece will set hearts afire and awaken a desire to sing into the deep dark night or the stark light of day as fans of all teams can gather round and do a really bad job of karaoke.
Photo courtesy Atlantic Records