The Louisville Cardinal

U of L’s historic Foundations

By Josephine Lee

Founded in 1798, the University of Louisville is rich in tradition and history. While the various campuses have been expanding rapidly, many historic buildings remain intact and in use.

Wilson W. Wyatt Hall is located by the administration oval and houses the Louis D. Brandeis School of Law. Inside Wyatt Hall are the admissions and deans’ offices, the Allen Courtroom and the Law Library. The School of Law at U of L is the oldest law school in the state of Kentucky and the fifth oldest law school in continuous operation in the United States.

The Reynolds Lofts, built in 1915, originally served as an assembly plant for Ford Motor Company. The lofts are located on the corner of Third Street and Eastern Parkway. Reynolds Metals bought the building in 1940 and used it to make aircraft during World War II. After Reynolds Metals left Louisville, the building was given to U of L. The university leased the property to its current owners, who converted the building into loft-style apartments for students. According to Preservation Louisville – a nonprofit group that works to protect historic properties – the Reynolds Lofts were ranked in the Top 10 of Louisville’s preservation successes.

Myers Hall was built in 1918 and was the former home of the School of Dentistry. The building received its current name in 1970, named after Raymond Myer, who was the dean of the School of Dentistry from 1945 to 1969. Located on the Health Sciences Campus downtown, Myers Hall currently houses the speech-language pathology and auditory programs. Myers Hall also made the Top 10 list of Preservation Louisville’s most endangered historic places.

Gardiner Hall, built in 1871, is one of the oldest buildings on campus and is located across from the Life Sciences Building. It was originally a House of Refuge, a reform school for girls, during the Civil War. Today, it houses the dean’s office, the Advising Center and the Women’s Center, as well as the offices of Expressive Therapies and Family Therapies.

Jouett Hall is also one of the oldest buildings on campus and was also part of the House of Refuge during the Civil War. Currently, Jouett Hall houses the Office of Graduate Programs and Research Administration and the dean’s office for graduate school. Jouett Hall is located adjacent to Ekstrom Library.